V-Dem Short Courses and Workshops
As part of its outreach and policy-oriented program, V-Dem Institute is offering courses and workshops that aim to strengthen the capacity and knowledge of quantitative democracy research among scholars and practitioners.
V-Dem Course on Statistical Methods for Democracy Research for Young Scholars
Duration: Five days
The course offers lectures on quantitative methods and analysis, and hands-on working sessions by using the V-Dem dataset in STATA as a learning tool. Throughout the working sessions students choose a specific topic that they want to research and carry out basic analysis under the guidance of the trainers. This structure enables participants to immediately try out and apply what they have learned for their own research purposes. For the final session participants prepare a short presentation of the findings they have developed during the course and receive feedback of the other participants and the trainers.
The V-Dem Institute offers:
- High quality lecturers and trainers from the V-Dem global team;
- Knowledge about the V-Dem project, how to use V-Dem data and the V-Dem online analysis tools;
- Lectures on statistical analysis and hands-on training on how to use STATA to employ these statistical methods (descriptive statistics, regression analysis, graphical presentation of results);
- State-of-the-art learning resources for the participants.
- This training course equips participants with statistical tools to conduct independent research;
- It enables scholars to present the results of their research in an appealing and effective format using graphics and tables;
- The course creates a forum where participating scholars are able to share their experiences, publications and ideas as well as develop their research skills.
A successful pilot training was held in Alexandria, Egypt, 25th - 29th of October 2015 with eight participants with none or little prior statistical experience. By the end of the course, the participants were able to conduct statistical analysis using STATA (descriptive statistics and basic regression) and present their findings in figures and tables. The course enabled them to assess research conducted with statistical methods and use basic quantitative methods in their own research.
How to Use the V-Dem Data? Workshop for Democracy Practitioners
Duration: half day/one day
The general objective of the workshop is to present and discuss the V-Dem data with democracy practitioners. It provides insight and tips on how to use the V-Dem data most efficiently for the specific needs of practitioners for assessing progress in different aspects of democracy across countries. The training can be tailored to fit the need of specific groups.
The V-Dem Institute offers:
- A clear and concise introduction to the V-Dem approach to data collection and methodology, how we construct the main V-Dem democracy indices, and a short discussion of the quality control and processing of the V-Dem data;
- A practically-oriented training on how to easily use the V-Dem data and online analysis tools, as well as how to correctly interpret the created graphs, and finally, how to most efficiently navigate in the V-Dem codebook and website to access the produced knowledge by the V-Dem Institute;
- Hands on sessions: Practical exercises to generate country profiles in different thematic areas that are of interest for the participants, allowing them to develop their own graphs.
- Structured discussion on how to conceptualize and measure quantitatively specific aspects of democracy and track progress;
- Reflections and discussions on how quantitative data can be used in democracy assessment.
- One day workshop: "V-Dem Data from a Regional Perspective: Insights from Nepal", April 25 2017, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Training workshop "V-Dem Applied Workshop – Online Analysis Tools" at the Summer School on Mixed Methods 2016, 5-6 January 2016, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- “Democracy assessments, measurements and data validation - Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Island, Timor-Leste and Vanuatu”, 30- 31 July 2015, Nadi Fiji in cooperation with International IDEA
- Capacity Building Workshop, Stockholm, 14 April 2015, in cooperation with International IDEA
For more information on the workshops and for checking availability to organize similar events, please contact Valeriya Mechkova at email@example.com.