V-Dem Dataset - Version 11.1
At the present, there is a technical issue with our server and some users experience difficulties downloading the datasets. We are aware of the problem and are working hard to fix it. Apologies for the inconvenince and thanks for understanding.
Note: For v11, there was a mistake in aggregating a number of A and A* variables from country-date to country-year by using the wrong aggregation method, most often using maximum instead of last or last instead of maximum per country-year. Most indices were not affected by this as they get calculated using country-date inputs. The following indices were affected and were recalculated for v11.1, the number of changed observations in comparison to v11 are in parenthesis: v2x_horacc (all), v2x_accountability (all), v2x_veracc (all), v2x_diagacc (all), v2x_divparctrl (45), v2x_feduni (8), v2x_regime (24), v2x_regime_amb (25), v2x_ex_confidence (17), v2x_ex_direlect (8), v2x_ex_hereditary (21), v2x_ex_military (52), v2x_ex_party (27). The affected A and A* variables were re-aggregated using the correct method for v11.1.
- Countries: 202 countries
- Year coverage: 1789-2020
- 483 V-Dem indicators, 82 indices and 5 high-level indices
How to download a V-Dem Dataset:
- Select type of dataset: Country-Year, Country-Date and Coder-Level
- Select size: V-Dem Core, V-Dem Full+Others
- Select format: SPSS, STATA, CSV and R
- Click on the link to download the file and enter your details in the pop-up window
- The dataset and documentation are all yours!
Each ZIP includes:
- Codebook v11.1
- What's New
- Cautionary Notes
- Suggested Citation
Country-Year: V-Dem Core
The five high-level V-Dem Democracy Indices, 82 indices, and the indicators constituting them.
Country-Year: V-Dem Full+Others
All 483 V-Dem indicators and indices + 59 other indicators from other data sources.
All 483 V-Dem indicators and indices
Data coded by Country Experts and coder-reliability scores from the Measurement Model output
This quickstart guide is largely an extraction of text from the codebook, but is compiled as a means for a first quick look at the V-dem dataset. For reference, detailed explanations, cautionary notes, and information on all variables, please view the codebook and our other reference documents. Access the guide here: Quick Start Guide (1.1 MB)
What's New and Cautionary Note:
These notes are also included in the dataset packages.
- CSV: When loading the csv file into a statistical software one must specify the encoding as UTF-8 and the delimiter as comma. In Microsoft Excel 2016 that would work the following way: Data -> Get External Data -> From Text; Choose the csv file, this opens the Text Import Wizard; Specify 'Delimited' and choose '65001: Unicode (UTF-8)' as File origin.
- STATA-IC: Example to select individual variables from a large dataset: use country_name v2x_polyarchy using V-Dem-CY-Full+Others-v9.dta
Coppedge, Michael, John Gerring, Carl Henrik Knutsen, Staffan I. Lindberg, Jan Teorell, Nazifa Alizada, David Altman, Michael Bernhard, Agnes Cornell, M. Steven Fish, Lisa Gastaldi, Haakon Gjerløw, Adam Glynn, Allen Hicken, Garry Hindle, Nina Ilchenko, Joshua Krusell, Anna Luhrmann, Seraphine F. Maerz, Kyle L. Marquardt, Kelly McMann, Valeriya Mechkova, Juraj Medzihorsky, Pamela Paxton, Daniel Pemstein, Joseﬁne Pernes, Johannes von Römer, Brigitte Seim, Rachel Sigman, Svend-Erik Skaaning, Jeffrey Staton, Aksel Sundström, Ei-tan Tzelgov, Yi-ting Wang, Tore Wig, Steven Wilson and Daniel Ziblatt. 2021. ”V-Dem [Country–Year/Country–Date] Dataset v11.1” Varieties of Democracy Project. https://doi.org/10.23696/vdemds21
Pemstein, Daniel, Kyle L. Marquardt, Eitan Tzelgov, Yi-ting Wang, Juraj Medzihorsky, Joshua Krusell, Farhad Miri, and Johannes von Römer. 2021. “The V-Dem Measurement Model: Latent Variable Analysis for Cross-National and Cross-Temporal Expert-Coded Data”. V-Dem Working Paper No. 21 , 6th edition. University of Gothenburg: Varieties of Democracy Institute.
The V-Dem datasets are available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License CC-BY-SA-license.txt (19.7 KB) .
Will be available shortly.