V-Dem Dataset - Version 9
Welcome to the V-Dem Data page where you can download the V-Dem data free of charge!
The Varieties of Democracy Project is releasing new datasets every year around April, smaller updates to the datasets may be released in-between.
- Countries: 202 countries
- Year coverage: 1789-2018
- 450+ V-Dem indicators, 81 indices and 5 high-level indices
How to download a V-Dem Dataset:
- Select type of dataset: Country-Year, Country-Date and Coder-Level
- Select size: V-Dem Core, V-Dem Full+Others
- Select format: SPSS, STATA, CSV and R
- Click on the link to download the file and enter your details in the pop-up window
- The dataset and documentation are all yours!
Each ZIP includes:
- Codebook V9
- What's New
- Cautionary Notes
- Suggested Citation
On May 6th 2019 we uploaded slightly updated dataset packages, the difference concerns some tags and Codebook entries. For details, please consult the change log file changelog.txt (447 bytes) .
Country-Year: V-Dem Core
The five high-level V-Dem Democracy Indices, 81 indices, and the indicators constituting them.
Country-Year: V-Dem Full+Others
All 450+ V-Dem indicators and indices + 59 other indicators from other data sources.
All 450+ V-Dem indicators and indices
Data coded by Country Experts and coder-reliability scores from the Measurement Model output
This quickstart guide is largely an extraction of text from the codebook, but is compiled as a means for a first quick look at the V-dem dataset. For reference, detailed explanations, cautionary notes, and information on all variables, please view the codebook and our other reference documents. Access the guide here: V-Dem Startquide.pdf (1.2 MB)
What's New and Cautionary Note:
These notes are also included in the dataset packages.
- CSV: When loading the csv file into a statistical software one must specify the encoding as UTF-8 and the delimiter as comma. In Microsoft Excel 2016 that would work the following way: Data -> Get External Data -> From Text; Choose the csv file, this opens the Text Import Wizard; Specify 'Delimited' and choose '65001: Unicode (UTF-8)' as File origin.
- STATA-IC: Example to select individual variables from a large dataset: use country_name v2x_polyarchy using V-Dem-CY-Full+Others-v9.dta
Coppedge, Michael, John Gerring, Carl Henrik Knutsen, Staffan I. Lindberg, Jan Teorell, David Altman, Michael Bernhard, M. Steven Fish, Adam Glynn, Allen Hicken, Anna Lührmann, Kyle L. Marquardt, Kelly McMann, Pamela Paxton, Daniel Pemstein, Brigitte Seim, Rachel Sigman, Svend-Erik Skaaning, Jeffrey Staton, Steven Wilson, Agnes Cornell, Lisa Gastaldi, Haakon Gjerløw, Nina Ilchenko, Joshua Krusell, Laura Maxwell, Valeriya Mechkova, Juraj Medzihorsky, Josefine Pernes, Johannes von Römer, Natalia Stepanova, Aksel Sundström, Eitan Tzelgov, Yi-ting Wang, Tore Wig, and Daniel Ziblatt. 2019. "V-Dem [Country-Year/Country-Date] Dataset v9", Varieties of Democracy (V-Dem) Project. https://doi.org/10.23696/vdemcy19
Pemstein, Daniel, Kyle L. Marquardt, Eitan Tzelgov, Yi-ting Wang, Juraj Medzihorsky, Joshua Krusell, Farhad Miri, and Johannes von Römer. 2019. “The V-Dem Measurement Model: Latent Variable Analysis for Cross-National and Cross-Temporal Expert-Coded Data”, V-Dem Working Paper No. 21. 4th edition. University of Gothenburg: Varieties of Democracy Institute.
Please notify us about any publications that result from the use of V-Dem data by sending your bibliographic citation and information on your publication to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Working Papers Submissions:
We encourage users of V-Dem data to submit papers to be published in the "V-Dem Data Users Working Paper Series", more information is available here.
Will be available shortly.