Are you interested in working with democracy research in an international environment? Are you currently enrolled in a bachelor's or master’s program within social sciences? Apply for an internship for fall 2020 at V-Dem!
Varieties of Democracy (V-Dem) represents a novel approach to measuring democracy. V-Dem differs from previous datasets by distinguishing among different principles of democracy and offering about 470+ unique democracy indicators. These cover 202 countries, measured annually from 1789 to the present. Our approach is also unique in that most of the data is coded by some 3000 Country Experts based in 170 countries. The aim is to measure democracy with global standards based on local knowledge.
We are currently looking for three highly motivated, self-driven interns who are interested in democracy as a research area. The internship is for 10 weeks, between 31 Aug - 06 Nov 2020 or 09 Nov 2020- 15 Jan 2021. Please note that the internship will take place remotely in case the Covid19 situation persists until fall.
Internship gives opportunities to obtain practical experience in working with a research project within academia in an international environment. Internship tasks will vary in terms of current project’s needs.
The aim of the internship is to give the interns the possibility to:
- Experience how the organization works on a day-to-day basis
- Independently code V-Dem variables which are included in the dataset
- Produce materials such as Policy Briefs, literature reviews, Working Papers, or other written materials within different research projects based on the V-Dem data
- Assist with management of V-Dem dataset
- Help with outreach and dissemination
- The applicant should be currently enrolled in a master’s or bachelor’s program.
- The working language at V-Dem is English and thus advanced fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other languages such as French, Portuguese, Spanish, and/or Russian is an asset.
- Previous quantitative Research Methods courses is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of statistical programs, such as R and/or Stata, is an asset.
- Internship is unpaid but students will receive academic credits.
How to Apply?
The call for the fall internships is now closed. We will get in touch with the selected candidates once the selection process is over. For other internship related questions, please contact Nazifa Alizada, email@example.com.