Are you interested in working with democracy research in an international environment? Are you currently enrolled in a master’s or bachelor's program within social sciences? Apply for an internship for fall 2021 at V-Dem!
Varieties of Democracy (V-Dem) represents a novel approach to measuring democracy. V-Dem differs from previous datasets by distinguishing among different principles of democracy and offering about 470+ unique democracy indicators. These cover 202 countries, measured annually from 1789-2019. Our approach is also unique in that most of the data is coded by some 3 200 Country Experts based in 202 countries. The aim is to measure democracy with global standards based on local knowledge.
We are currently looking for four highly motivated, self-driven interns who are interested in democracy as a research area. The internship is for 10 weeks, between 30 Aug - 5 Nov 2021 or 8 Nov 2021- 14 Jan 2022. Please note that the internship will take place remotely in case the Covid19 situation persists in fall.
Internship gives opportunities to obtain practical experience in working with a research project within academia in an international environment. Internship tasks will vary in terms of current project’s needs.
The aim of the internship is to give the interns the possibility to:
- Experience how the organization works on a day-to-day basis
- Independently code factual V-Dem variables which are included in the dataset
- Produce materials such as Policy Briefs, literature reviews, Working Papers, or other written materials within different research projects based on the V-Dem data
- Assist with management of V-Dem dataset
- Produce weekly graphs for the website and help with outreach and dissemination
- Assist with other administrative tasks at the Institute
- The applicant should be currently enrolled in a master’s or bachelor's program and do the internship as part of their studies, that is receive academic credit for the internship program at their home university.
- The working language at V-Dem is English and thus advanced fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other languages such as French, Portuguese, Spanish, and/or Russian is an asset.
- Previous quantitative Research Methods courses is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of statistical programs, such as R and/or Stata, is an asset.
- Internship is unpaid but students will receive academic credits.
How to Apply?
The internship positions for fall 2021 are now filled and the selected applicants have been informed. The call for spring 2022 internships will be updated here soon. Stay tuned! For any other internship related questions, please contact email@example.com.